Monday, October 23, 2006

Sabaidee Lao Market

Night market

Luang Prabang night market is one of the best markets I've ever been to, so colorful, not really expensive and not as much crap stuff as other markets. Compared to the morning market in Vientiane, this is much better with a wider variety of stuff and a great atmosphere. The market opens from about 5 pm to 11pm. I love hanging around this market because the Lao people always smile at you even if you don't buy anything from them.

Happy money

We were playing our bargaining games here so well and sometimes it made us laugh our heads off because the surprising prices that we gave and the sellers accepted. Most of the prices that those sellers give to you are up really high and the game starts from 70% off then stop about 40%. One tecnhique is a smile and walk away and then they will call you back to ask for a little bit more but if you are strict with that price then they will sell it. We wanted to buy a small piece of cloth with a small handmade patch on it. One old lady told me that it costs K5000, I said K500 and she agreed. We wondered about the real price and how they can earn any money from that?

Shopping

Liz wanted to buy a bed cover with two pillow covers, the sellers told us $25, I said $14 and they didn't agree, we went to another shop and finally she bought two for $28, very good quality and they look gorgeous! The funny thing is that Lao people always thinks that I am Lao or Thai then they speak those languages to me and I teasing them by smiling knowingly and uh ha, uh huh just trying to make a good deal and I realized that it was quite a good technique to get a good deal.

Rock painting

I bought so many lanterns and paintings at the night market, they look so pretty and very cheap. Most of the paintings sold here are from an artist who lives in the mountains. Some of them are from student artists who copy and they look not really good. Buddha tile paintings are great here, they are small pieces of flat ceramic that you can stick on the wall or on the floor or put them in a frame, it costs a little bit but I think it worth what we paid for.

Sabaidee Lao, sokdee and phopkanmai!

12 comments:

Chelsea said...

This looks like an amazing trip!!!

Jimmy Tran said...

VG - We're in Hanoi now. E-mail us and we'll get dinner: thirstythong@gmail.com

thirstythong.blogspot.com

Monika said...

I'm sooo jealous

Anonymous said...

The lanterns are so nice, could you present one of them for me. Phuong

junebee said...

Oh, I am terrible at bargaining! I would probably just pay the high price and think it was a good deal anyway!

Van Cong Tu said...

hi junebee, I know but you should try to play this game, good fun :)

Invertir en Oro said...

Oh, I am terrible at bargaining! I would probably just pay the high price and think it was a good deal anyway!

Inversiones en petrĂ³leo said...

I always try to find and read blogs like this because are very good.

inversiones en oro said...

hello, this post is amazing, i would like to read more about it, because think that this information is very interesting.

xl pharmacy said...

I really like to go to market. You can find pretty interesting things to do and the best thing about it is food.

Tiffany said...

Pretty helpful piece of writing, thanks so much for your post.

Vietnam tours said...

I like your post, Thank you!