Saturday, March 27, 2010

Riding Around Phu Quoc

Phu Quoc

Last month I was in Phu Quoc for a couple of weeks, mostly relaxing on the beach. Yesterday we decided to hire a motorbike for a ride around the south of Phu Quoc. We stopped at Sao - Star Beach for a drink and we had lunch here as well. This is one of the best beaches in Phu Quoc and Vietnam with white sand, wild and really quiet. I came here last time two years ago and nothing has changed in this area which impressed me much.

Phu Quoc

The next day we drove to the south to check out the pepper farms. We get lost on a really dusty road and we didn't know where we were. But luckily enough there were some pepper farms on the side of the road covered with red dust. They looked really bad, very dry as if it hadn't rained for years. Finally, we walked into a house where pepper was sold and the farm did look greener compared to the others. We bought some white pepper and I got some information about how they deal with business and the weather for my article. These pepper people were very friendly and quite willing to talk about the whole pepper process. Their peppercorns weren't that expensive compared to the shops in town and I believe it's pure instead of being mixed up with some other cheaper pepper seeds.

Phu Quoc

Driving back to town was also a nightmare of dust. I got totally covered by red dust and I looked filthy by the time we returned to the hotel. Anyway, it was an interesting drive and a bit of a break from the beach.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ey, I totally agree with you about the bad, dirty roads in Phu Quoc. Love your photos very much
Hoang

foodhoe said...

What an interesting side trip! I've never seen pepper trees out in the wild before...

Anonymous said...

As I remember, driving from ban me thout to saigon there are a lots of peppers field. And they looks so beautiful and delicious as the same time.

Unknown said...

We were in PQ in 2008, we rented several motorbikes and drove to explore the island, when we got to Bai Sao, the road was some bumpy and full of rocks that riding was a little rough. But I love PQ and Bai Sao, some of the freshest/best seafoods we had were cooked on order at Bai Sao.

http://beautran.wordpress.com/2008/08/29/a-quick-getaway/

Vietnam travel guide said...

I like your post.