Saturday, May 01, 2010

Flowers 1

Roses

I love being at the night flower market in Quang An as it's like another small world. I can just sit there looking at young couples hand in hand looking at flowers or people shopping for their retail florists with torches checking out the quality of the flowers. The bargaining also amazes me: recently I saw a person pay $1 for a 100 roses. I do love bargaining not beause I'm stingy but I love playing the game with them and I usually give them a little bit more at the end and see their big smiles. That makes my day.

Florist

The many street vendors who come to this market to get flowers then spend another few hours to re organize them before selling them along Hanoi's streets. Watching them is also a highlight as I can see they use their talents to make some ruined flowers look beautiful. They take all the bad leaves and petals off and put plastic or paper around the remaining bud or flower pretending that it's great. They do look good until the paper's been taken off. It's a cheeky practice and I've been caught myself. I've learned my lesson though.

Flowers

Besides heavy rain which can put a temporary stop to their business in our area, there is another reason that will stop their business. Whenever a dignitary like the president of the US comes to Hanoi they normally stay at the Intercontinental or the Sheraton hotel, which means most commercial street activity has to stop until the visit is over. In fact, when Bush visited a couple of years ago, there was a tank positioned near where the florists normally trade. Recently during the ASEAN conference, the flower vendors went missing for a few days. Of all the street vendors, I hope these street florists remain as long as possible as they add a touch of colour and charm to Hanoi.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

$1 for a 100 roses? No way, here in the U.S. $1=1 rose. I really fell bad the all the farmers and florist in nam.

Anonymous said...

I love that you are a dog lover. I do celebrate my dog birthday every year and many people said I am so crazy to do that (what I think is just another reason to throw a party that all) ... as that day I always give my dog - he name is Cosmo - a big t bone steak, and of course a birthday cake which he can only have couple bite ... I do invited couple friend whose are dog lover come over with they dog to celebrated with me ...

I enjoy very much your blog and adore your travel to many place. I just want to ask you about travel with Misa - air line - how much do they cost domestic and international. I am from Unite State and thinking to bring my dog to Viet Nam next year (I can't travel with out him).

oh, about the language you are wrong when you think Misa only understand English ... from my study dog only understand sound tone only ... you can speak some Vietnamese to him (try it) and you will be surprise to see how much he can pick up. I may be wrong but my Cosmo do understand both English and Vietnamese even those we are speak to him in English only ... or maybe my Cosmo can understand both ...

If you have any information about dog travel to VN please email me at Hathuyly@yahoo.com ...

Again, thank you and keep it up .

Sincerely,

Lily