Saturday, May 12, 2007

Service In Hoi An

Hoi An fishing man

In general, the people in Hoi An are sweet and nice, but service is a big problem here judging by what I’ve seen after one week. I don’t expect everything to be perfect like in high class or five-star places, but in the average tourist restaurant the service is not great.

Hoi An walking man

I was so surprised to see staff in a very nice café serving with bare feet and staff arguing each other or talking loudly around the customers. The tone the waiters use to talk to customers is a bit strange, too. Even in my hotel, I went down stairs to reception to ask a question, but the receptionist kept talking to her friend on the speaker phone instead of holding the phone. I don’t think this kind of service is acceptable at all. I don’t think that I am difficult but when you work in hospitality for a long time, it’s difficult not to judge the service wherever you go.
However, eating on the street is different; the local street vendors are just so easy going and sometimes they even speak slowly to tourists because they know we might be confused. I imagined the service in Hoi An would be better than in Hanoi because of the number of tourists but it seems just about the same or even not as good in some cases.

Quang Thang Restaurant

I’ve noted some places that I’ve been to where my experience was not so good. Maybe they were having a bad day but these places were not up to standard in terms of food and service.

1. Café Dan
2. Dang Thang restaurant
3. Hai Scout café

BaLe Well Restaurant

On a different note, laptop computers are not worth taking to Hoi An if you wish to use a wireless connection, because there’s only two places but the connection signal is really weak. Unfortunately, the staff at these places didn’t tell me about the bad connection until after I’d already ordered. They tried to tell me that the connection depended on the value of the laptop? I didn’t know why the waiter told me that, but it ended up being a waste of time.

Nam Long restaurant - Hoi An

Beside these bad places, there are some good names which provide good services, good food, clean and friendly atmosphere that I would highly recommend such as:

1. Nam Long Restaurant
2. Vinh Hung 2 Hotel
3. Tam Tam café
4. BaLe Well Restaurant
5. Ngan Ha Cloth shop at 80 Nguyen Duy Hieu Street.
6. Sakura Restaurant
7. Xua va Nay - Before and Now Bar and Restaurant.

Sakura Restaurant

Hope this post can help you avoid bad places and enjoy yourself at nice and good places.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. We have just launched a new online travel site connecting Vietnam and the United States, http://www.goqtt.com, and would be interested in talking with you a possible project to work with us. (We're based in the U.S. and Nha Trang.) Please send us an email to us on how to reach you at info@goqtt.com; we would like to talk with you as soon as possible.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recommendations, Tu. I will include them in my notes on Viet Nam. I value your recommendations, since you are an overseas Vietnamese. I have been watching the "Du Lich Bien" videos on You Tube to find the best restaurants to visit in Nha Trang, your home town.

Regards,

Tam Nguyen

junebee said...

Sounds like the street vendors really value your business.

Thuy said...

I think I've been to that restaurant pictured last in this blog. Their food and service were really good. I was not all impressed with the food in Hoi An and I could not find a good cup of cafe sua da there either. On the subject of service, I've been working trying to do some busines with a young lady in Saigon and she is not able to meet my deadline, even as she promised. I'll have to wait and see.

Van Cong Tu said...

Thanks for all comments.
Tam Nguyen. I am not an oversea Vietnamese as you thought :)

Invertir en Oro said...

I value your recommendations, since you are an overseas Vietnamese