Saturday, February 20, 2010

Rip Off Noodles

Phu Quoc

Yesterday we wanted to find something different for breakfast after tennis. After wandering around, we stopped at a chicken and duck noodle and salad stand. We ordered one bowl of vemicelli with chicken and one noodle soup with chicken. We thought that'd be ok and cheap but the lady kept asking us about our order and confusing us. Other people in the restaurant are shaking their heads. I didn't really understand if their reaction meant that they knew her or what?

Swear noodle

Anyway, we ended up with two bowls of vemicelli with chicken and it costs 150,000VND. I couldn't say a thing, I was so shocked. I couldn't believe my ears. I thought she's probably going to say it's New Year which is a common excuse to rip tourists off. She didn't say anything. We just had to accept her price! I told people from the hotel and they thought I was joking. This really pisses me off and this is not the first time as well.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Where was this? Even locals get rip off. You fall victims as soon as they feel you can afford it. What a shame, especially for tourism.

Anonymous said...

wow that is $7.83 USD.. Well, I guess this is 2 unforgettable bowls of noodle soup. Whenever i'm in VN i get rip off by the locals too if that make you fell any better :(!!! I fell your pain...

Anonymous said...

Why don't ask her?
Could be a mistake...

Kha

Mẹ Chuột Mèo said...

Next time ask for the price before you order :) That was how I did it if I didn't see a price list listed on the wall or in the menu.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! At least here we get bigger portion. The large size only costs $6.50 or so in $CDN.

foodhoe said...

you don't sound very impressed with the bowl of soup, and there are alot of zeros in the amount...

Anonymous said...

Not nice..., that was just plain dishonesty , it makes me angry when people do that sort of thing , people like that need to be told off in the face so they know they can't get away with it too easily, less chance they would repeat that sort of behaviour on other people.
Diem

Mgz said...

don't worry I am Vietnamese and we got #$#$# off too. Mine was 75000 for Bun Bo Hue. it was around Ben Thanh market during Tet, so it was expected, meh

Vietnam tours said...

I like Miên Ga, delious...

Vietnam tour packages said...

It is a dish delious in Vietnam. I like it.