Thursday, February 08, 2007

Bat Trang, Pottery Village

Bat Trang

My friend and I went to Bat Trang for Tet shopping and it was the first time for my friend but the fifth time for me. Bat Trang is a village in North Vietnam about 13 kilometers south east of Hanoi, on the Red river. I love this place because it's so peaceful, the people are so nice and friendly. Bat Trang has a very long history and is famous for its ceramics.

Bat Trang

In the past, I came here by motorbike but my friend wanted to go by local bus. It took us about 20 minutes and cost just 6000Vnd for both of us, a cheap and safe way to travel. I do prefer to go by motorbike, though, because you can see the beautiful countryside, green rice farms or you can take some photos of the weird house designs or strange colors, but it's all beautiful.

Bat Trang

Bat Trang's always busy as lots of tourists come here to visit the village and see people make ceramic products. It's amazing to see how fast they can make a bowl or a plate... or paint them. These workers decorate their products and quickly finish them with beautiful flowers on or inside the plate or product. I was standing there watching them doing it for half an hour and I couldn't believe how good they were.

Bat Trang

Bat Trang people sell their products as the main source of income besides farm work and most families have their own show room with thousands of samples on display. This industry is also providing thousands of jobs for people in this area as well as a good way to maintain a traditional village.

Bat Trang

Come to Bat Trang and buy something so you can remember your Bat Trang experience at home. A lot of the stuff is the same but you can find some nice homeware here.

5 comments:

alan said...

Beautiful photos of some beautiful work!

I heard a piece in the news about a new railway being built there...a 30 hour journey cut to 10 will be amazing!

alan

Pnt said...

Great blog!

I was there 7 years ago, in Nha Trang. I miss the food! The veggies, the goat penis? wine, and the snake wine, etc.hahaha. I like the boulevard there a lot!

Why don't you put adsense on this blog, so that you can earn probably 100 dollars a month? I am earning more than 100 dollars a month, = 1 million dong a month from adsense.

junebee said...

Too bad we can't buy Bat Trang pottery in the U.S. Actually, we probably can in New York or LA. I need to start selling it here in Florida!

Van Cong Tu said...

Thanks Gcol. I put adsense lastweek and hope it can work well :)

Anonymous said...

My husband and I love Bat trang stuff. We brought lots of it back to the US. Unfortunately we've never been to "Bat Trang" and it's on our list for the future trip.