Saturday, January 27, 2007
Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Beef sirloin: 500g
Spring onion: 50g
Garlic: 10 g
Red chilli: 50 g
Fish sauce: 1 teaspoon
Sugar: 2 teaspoons
Lemon: 10 pcs
Fresh water: 2 teaspoons
How to make:
Put 3 litre of water into a saucepan then put beef sirloin in and bring to the boil, then simmer for two hours until cooked. After cooking cut the boiled beef into 4 cm long and 1 cm thin strips
Clean spring onion, carrot, celery & onion well then dry them before cutting them in to long and thin pieces (5 cm long).
- Lemon: squeeze for juice. Put fish sauce, sugar, lemon juice, garlic and chili in a large mixing bowl; put 2 spoons of water in then stir well.
- Put beef meat & all prepared ingredients in above mixture; use chopsticks to mix all the ingredients.
- Serve cold.
Sunday, January 21, 2007
New year in Asia called Chinese new year, Tet in Vietnam. Fire crackers used to be one of the most important items that every family needed to have to celebrate until about 10 years ago.
Nowadays, due to numerous accidents which killed many people, the government has banned their use. Fire crackers can damage your body when they explode. Some people make firecrackers themselves at home using paper and powder bought from the market. I actually made a huge one at home when I was young and I was really scared when I heard the noise, but it's very exciting.
With Tet coming, people are trading in fire crackers from China in an illegal ways by hiring people to carry them over the border or by boat along the river. Students are the main target customers. The police have stopped many people and confiscated thousands of tons of crakers but there is another million tons of crackers being sold in Hanoi and around Viet Nam. The noise is happening throughout the day, almost every day.
There are many stories of little boys throwing something into the middle of street, waiting for the bang, then running away down the alley and of course noone knows who did it. The victim is left on the street and needs to be taken to the hospital if it's serious. Even if not, he or she has to spend money to repair their motorbike and buy medicine for the injury. There have been hundreds of people who have lost their arms, eyes and some other parts of their body through playing with fire crackers.
This needs to be stopped because it affects innocent people walking around or driving on the streets.
Tuesday, January 16, 2007
pavement and the driver sits down and has a cup of tea, or rice wine and smoke of the rustic tobacco. There are thousands of this kind of tea shop along the streets from the busiest parts of the city to the suburbs and you can see all types of people in life. From a famous singer, young guys or girls with very fashionable clothes, an architect, a farmer or a xe om to teenager students. They all drink tea and smoke as part of their daily routine. I think this is a good thing that needs to be mantained. It's also a chance for old people to earn some extra money, meet old friends, talk about politics and tell stories.
cafes with free wifi, the tea shop is still alive. For as little as 1000 dong, they can have a hot or cold cup of tea and a cigarette, look around at people walking along, and get the latest gossip from the street.
Saturday, January 13, 2007
Thursday, January 11, 2007
Soft Shell crab: 400g
Egg: 1 egg
Green pepper: 50 g
Potato: 100 g
Cooking oil: 200g
Chicken Powder: 2 teaspoon
How to make:
- Wash crab thoroughly, drains well.
- Whisk the egg well also. Put crab in to this mixture then put it into starch until starch stick well onto the whole crab.
- Pour cooking oil into a pan bring to a boil, put prepared crab in fry until crab turn into brown color.
Sweet & sour sauce:
- Wash tomato thoroughly then chop finely
- Green pepper, tomato, carrot cut into small cubes (0.5 cm)
- Garlic chops finely.
- Pour cooking oil into a saucepan; bring to a boil, put garlic in and stir until garlic turn into brown color with nice smell. Pour prepared tomato in, put chicken powder & sugar in (enough for your taste)
- Put all prepared green pepper, potato, and carrot in; stir for 3 minutes then pour onto crab. Served hot.